Friday, August 1, 2008

#15 Web 2.0 - and the future

I was 4 when I got my first Library Card at the downtown Public library ( the big old one)
This next lesson is probably going to be a very different library of the future

Wow!! I remember a librarian about 10 years ago saying that her budget for buying new books was disappearing and we would soon do all research on line.
I remember about 5-10 years ago how I would take classes to the library to do research.
My last library project was 2 years ago and most of the students did not do any work in the library but insisted they could do it all on line. And boy did they do it on line. When I googled their work several of them had done a very nice job of copy/ paste.

Libraries are changing. That is a given. I still like to sit down and hold the books in my hand. I can skim read books faster than the internet and I know of more synonyms for what I am looking for even though the internet can quickly search the page for a specific word.

Yes, you are teaching an old dog new tricks on this information. I do like to have a few old ice bergs of information around for when the internet is down or just refusing to work or-- technology problems that we all seem to get when we least expect them. I know a bulb can always burn out in an over head projector, but doing all things via an internet you have to worry about the bulb on the projector plus the computer, connection to the world- etc.

Is there an easy solution? or just have plan B, C, D, E, F, etc.

1 comment:

VWB said...

Yes there are several factors involved in relying on the internet, but you & I both know we don't want to go back!
although not a perfect system, I feel improvement will be noticeable this year and hopefully, the roadblocks and issues will be fewer